Date: 2nd December 2017 at 11:02pm
Written by:

French striker Odsonne Edouard scored a hat-trick as Celtic defeated Motherwell for the third time inside a week.

The nineteen-year-old converted a pass from Scott Sinclair and then drove a second into the corner just beyond the half-hour.

Elliott Frear reduced the deficit midway through the second-half, but substitute James Forrest duly restored the two-goal advantage.

Both Edouard and Forrest later added to their respective tallies inside the final ten minutes.

The champions were soon in their stride and Richard Tait almost headed Jonny Hayes’ cross into his own net before Olivier Ntcham saw a driven effort blocked.

Chris Cadden lifted narrowly over at the other end but Ntcham then released Sinclair to provide Edouard with the opening goal.

Hayes curled another attempt wide before Tom Rogic supplied Edouard to finish accurately into the far corner.

Rogic had an effort disallowed following a consultation between officials while Edouard headed wide from Sinclair’s delivery after the break.

Full-backs Mikael Lustig and Kieran Tierney also found time to challenge the target, although the next goal arrived as Frear took advantage of Tait’s cross.

Australian midfielder Rogic replied too high before Forrest received from Tierney and produced a controlled finish to extend the lead.

Forrest went close again as keeper Trevor Carson came to the visitors’ rescue, until Edouard completed his hat-trick when seizing upon Tait’s weak header and Forrest soon added another.

Celtic: Gordon, Lustig, Ajer, Boyata, Tierney, Brown, Ntcham (McGregor 68), Hayes (Forrest 68), Rogic, Sinclair (Armstrong 77), Edouard

subs (unused): Simunovic, Griffiths, de Vries, Kouassi

Goals: Edouard (16, 33, 85), Forrest (76, 88)

Motherwell: Carson, Tait, Kipre, Hartley, Dunne, Cadden (McHugh 46), Campbell, Rose, Tanner (Frear 46), Moult (Petravicius 58), Bowman

subs (unused): Grimshaw, Bigirimana, Griffiths, Plummer

Goals: Frear (65)

Ref: K. Clancy